Student Created Assessment for Creative, Independent, Self-motivated Learner

Ananda Lima

Traditional forms of student assessment usually consist of predetermined well defined tasks solely created by a teacher and enforced via extrinsic rewards and punishment, in a one-size-fits all manner. Such methods have negative effects on student’s intrinsic motivation and do little to foster the adaptable, creative, independent type of thinking students will need to develop to thrive in today’s world. In this talk, I will discuss the use of open ended blank slate projects created by the students themselves, as a means for richer more independent learning and assessment. I will go over the overall desired characteristics of this method of assessment, the roles of the student and the instructor, some of the challenges and how one could get started incorporating them in the setting of a traditional classroom.

Comments

1. Alex Britez says:

Looking forward to this talk!

Trackbacks

1. Ananda Lima says:

[…] Student Created Assessment for Creative, Independent, Self-motivated Learner […]

2. […] have been developing along the time I taught. I like to thing about these things (and will even be talking about teaching soon at the ELD […]

Speak Your Mind

*